Making Amends 3C Muffins

 Baking smells for a wake up call.

A warm muffin for breakfast

Chocolate in the first bite.

Earns forgiveness.  100%


After yesterday's disaster, I felt obliged to make a good muffin, good from both our points of view.

So here goes

 Carrot - Coconut - Chocolate - Muffin


Group I

1 cup whole wheat flour (aata)
2/3 cup chickpea flour (besan)
1/3 cup all purpose flour (maida)
1/2 - 1 tsp chai masala (or a combination of cinnaom, cloves, nutmeg, dry ginger)
1 tsp baking powder

Group II

1 cup yogurt
1/4 cup oil
3 medium sized eggs
1/3 cup regular sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar

Group III

2 medium carrots grated (about 1 - 1.5 cups)
1/2 coconut grated ( 0.5 - 1 cup)
1 sweet lime juiced
1 apple peeled and coarsely grated into above sweet lime
1 pear peeled and coarsely grated into above sweet lime.
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts/almonds/pistachio chopped


Preheat oven to 175 deg C or 350 deg F

Mix group 1 ingredients througly, with finger tips preferably.  Ensure the yellow besan is evenly spread through the flours.

In another bowl, beat group II ingredients until homogenous, 10 minutes by hand, 5 by hand held mixer;  First mix the yogurt and sugars, then the oil, eggs 1 at a time, finally the essence.

Pour Group I into Group II and mix gently.

Fold Group III into the mix.

Pour into a buttered muffin pan and bake 20 - 25 minutes until golder brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre brings out just some crumbs, not wet liquid.







Notes:

  • Takes just 45 minutes to do, end to end.
  • I made 22 muffins on the smaller side.
  • The vanilla essence takes the edge off the chai masala and gives the whole dish a sweeter feel.  The pepper/ginger in the chai masala adds a bite. Together, an awesome combo.
  • These muffins don't rise much, but they have a light crumb. 
  • This could serve as dessert too, or evening snack...
  • I almost always use this proportion of ingredients for baking (Group I and II; chai masala is a rare addition).  The oil is to preserve the moisture after day 1 in the fridge.  This is a fairly low fat muffin.
  • You cannot taste the besan distinctin the muffin.  Yay!  I did not have any pottukadalai, so I used the long forgotten box of besan in the fridge.I was so worried I had messed up the muffin.

Gau craves vanilla cupcakes  :)  This is a roaring success.  gau asked me to pack a couple to eat in the van after he had the first muffin.
Substituting yogurt for butter, wholewheat for APF, a good blend of fruits and veggies and substituting some protein (besan) for carbs (whole wheat).
This is my submission to the Mad Scientist, Archana Potdar's , fast food not fat food.  This even was lauched by Priya initially.
I was looking at TangyMinds blog and admiring her cake decoration when I realized, the muffin follows the cake recipe of bake along quite closely.
So I decided to submit this recipe to the bake along.

Bake Along Challenge is twice a month bloghop, hosted by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours, Lena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids.


My nephew and niece turn 1 on tuesday, 18th Sep, this is the cake decoration they are going to get :)  I didn't want to overload them with buttercream icing.  This is perfect and beautiful!

Comments

Archana said…
This is perfect! If you watch Jhalak The perfect is like Madhuri Dixtit says it. Love it. Thanks for linking this one goes to my to do list.

I am hosting Bake Fest all through Sept ’12. Do send me your entries
I am also hosting Fast Food Not Fat Food 1st Sept to 15th Oct ’12. Do send me your entries

lena said…
hi kp, i'm one of the hostess for bake along. Your muffin sure looks good and packed with goodies! Just to reiterate that we only take in recipes that we provided earlier. You can chk the recipe link at the sidebar of any of our hostess's blog. However, for the theme baking eg cream puffs, you can choose any cream puff recipes with your favourite filling. You can read the rules of our bake along at any of the hostess's blog and if you're in doubt, you can always write to us.

Popular posts from this blog

Kombucha in Chennai!

A Sweet Tart with Chocolate and Pomegranete

World's Quickest Yeast Cake