Meal in a scroll - Antipasto Scrolls

Being a vegetarian by birth as well as by choice, I almost never pay any attention to the savoury foray's of the masterchef contestants.  Then I decided to take part in Cook Like a Star blog hop.  In the long, growing links below my own modest ventures, the antipasto scroll from Mich's  piece of cake blog caught my eye.  They reminded me a lot of something called "dizzy dog"(?) my son favours at Hot Breads.  I doubt this is on offer anymore because it did not figure in their online menu.
Gau had his sports day heat yesterday; He is long on enthusiasm, short on height.  He has not made it into the top 5 in 100m race since pre-school days.  He desperately wants to.  But he hasn't. I wanted to make something nice to perk him up today, when he faced his more successful co-competitors and this scroll fit the bill perfectly.
Changes first.  And the inspiration behind them.
I hadn't cooked greens in nearly 10 days, no time to get to the roadside vendor I favour; finally yesterday on the way home after dropping gau off for sports heats, I picked up 3 bunches - methi, mananthakkali and ponnanganni.  I have a truly awesome luxury, my baby sitter will pick off the leaves for the greens I buy.  She will then pack the leaves into tupperware boxes and leave it in the fridge.  I then add the leaves to anything I fancy.  Today it was the scrolls.
We truly dislike Parmesan cheese - too salty and funky smelling, so I went with Amul Processed Cheese for the dough.
Ricotta cheese costs an arm and a leg here if you go for the imported varieties, except Auroville, no one makes ricotta cheese locally.  I decided to just go with freshly made paneer instead.  2/3 cup of yogurt and 3/2 cup of milk only yielded 150g of fresh paneer.  I just added a bit of smooth peanut butter and made it 200 g in total.
I made my own roasted green bell pepper.
I used fresh yeast, the active yeast I buy here is rarely active.

1.5 cups maida
1/2 cup atta
60 g cheese
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1 tsp sugar
15g fresh yeast
1 tsp coconut oil
salt

Dissolve sugar in water, add yeast
Mix flours, cheese, salt and then pour the yeast mix
 Knead into a dough.  Finish off kneading with the oil
Cover and chill 30 minutes

Greens "Pesto"


2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp jeera
2 tsp urad daal
2 tsp chana
1 tsp peppercorn
2 red chillies
1 onion chopped
2 garlic pods chopped
2 cups greens of your choice washed well and chopped
2 tbspoon grated  coconut

Heat oil, add mustard jeera
WHen popped add daals and peppercorn
WHen reddish add onions and garlic
When softened add Greens and saute until wilted
Pour a scant 1/2 cup water and cook covered
Cool.  Grind coarsely in a blender

2 peppers (green/yellow/red) roasted
12 olives, chopped

150 g paneer (preferably fresh or grated)
50 g peanut butter

Mix the paneer and peanut butter together

1 tbspoon coconut oil 

Roll the dough into a 40 X 20 rectangle
Oil the dough
Spread the paneer, peanut butter mix
Spread the pesto
Sprinkle the bell pepper and olives
Roll along the longer side
SLice into 12 pieces
bake at 200 deg for 15 minutes.


Gau was happy.  Would have preferred carrots to bell pepper.  He is disliking bell pepper these days.
Hubby likes it, esp with coffee on the side.  Ash made a gross face and spat it out ;) My neighbours loved it.
Like Mich says, the best thing about this is it stays soft!

This is for Cook like a Star hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy KidsAnuja of Simple Baking and Baby Sumo of Eat your heart out.

Comments

I love your filling! It looks delicious with the scroll. Another thing I love about this recipe is that one can add anything inside and improvise it to our own taste and it's still great! :)
Baby Sumo said…
Hello, happy to see u join us for Cook Like a MasterChef! MasterChef UK actually had a vegetarian contestant called Jackie Kearney and she got to the semi finals!
Zoe said…
Like the way that you improvised these scrolls according to the vegetarian style that you want.

Nice to know that this recipe is definitely a keeper :D

Popular posts from this blog

Kombucha in Chennai!

The lunch box challenge a.k.a. please gautham's palette

A Sweet Tart with Chocolate and Pomegranete