Mango Chocolate Marbled Cake

It rained cows and horses Sunday night, Monday morning 6 am felt like 2 am. DH who pretends to go to bed at 9.30 just to put my younger one to sleep, always ends up asleep by 10 and awake early.  I think it is just old age.   He listened to local news and found schools were left off for the day.  Yay!

I woke my older son around 8.30 yelling I overslept and he is late for school and he will have to miss his Physics midterm.  He woke up in shock and said no problem he will brush and get dressed, I can drop him at school.  Exams start only at 9.   I let him rush to the bathroom and got busy making the marbled cake to dam the  flood of righteous anger that would follow my little trick ;)

This is one of the few Nigella Lawson recipes that work perfectly for me.  I had to tweak a little of course, it is in my DNA.  It is still a little over the top, but what the heck, you live only once.  I have tried both the mango version and the orange version, mocha taste always dominates.
  1. 200g butter, softened on the stove
  2. 1¼ cups sugar
  3. 1¾ cups whole wheat atta
  4. ½ teaspoon baking soda
  5. 1½ teaspoons baking powder
  6. 5 eggs
  7. Zest of 1 lemon
  8. 1 tbspoon naturellment mango jam or orange juice+zest
  9. 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
  10. 1 teaspoon roasted peaberry coffee powder, basically the stuff you use to make coffee every morning preferably without chicory.
  11. 1 tablespoon milk

Directions

Preheat the oven to 175deg C.
Grease 2 loaf pans.
Beat butter and sugar together, then add eggs 1 at a time and incorporate it into the batter.
Mix in lemon zest and jam/juice+zest
In another bowl mix the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
Gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet.
Divide batter into two bowls (the one in which you mixed the flour would serve well)
Dissolve cocoa and coffee in milk.Add it to one of the two bowls and mix it in
Pour the cocoa bowl batter into the plain batter and gently mix the two so that the two colours interweave (dont let it get cocoa brown all over!)
Pour into buttered pans and bake 30 minutes until it smells done, leaves side of pan and toothpick comes out with crumbs only.
Let it sit on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes before turning out on to the rack to get completely cold.
Slice and serve.
 
I left before the slicing was done, Gau handled the slicing and serving.

Gone in a day! By the time I decide to take a pic in the evening, only 1 almost-slice was left!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kombucha in Chennai!

The lunch box challenge a.k.a. please gautham's palette

A Sweet Tart with Chocolate and Pomegranete